Saturday, July 11, 2009

15 weeks and counting....



We're 15 weeks pregnant today and only 25 more weeks to go! The baby now measures about 4-4.5 inches, weighing about 2.5 ounces, and is about the size of a softball or a navel orange! Broken record here, I know, but I will never get over how much our little one grows each week!! The books say our baby is looking more "human" with each passing day now. The eyes and ears have continued to develop and move to their targeted places. The baby's bones are already formed and are getting harder and retaining calcium rapidly - if we had an ultra sound done right now we'd be able to see the baby's skeleton! The baby is starting to move amniotic fluid through his/her nose and upper respiratory tract, which is aiding his/her lungs to develop. Another thing that has happened this week is the baby's legs have grown to now measure longer than the arms, and he/she can now move all of his/her joints and limbs! They say it's still too early for me to feel the baby move yet, but from time to time I'll still wonder if I do feel something going on in there - since our last appointment I've been focusing on the area of my stomach where the doctor found the heartbeat and trying to determine if I feel movement there. In the next few weeks I could begin to unquestionably feel the baby, and I can't wait!

My stomach is continuing to grow - yesterday I thought I might still be able to squeeze into a regular pair of capri pants that have always been a little large on me.... nope, definitely not! So, as much as I'd like my wardrobe to still include some of my regular belongings, it looks like it's maternity clothes the rest of the way for me! Last night we ran into our neighbors (who have a 1 yr old little girl, Ava) when we got home from dinner and we stopped to chat a little, I could see the wife's eyes continuously trailing down to my belly. It was kind of funny to me, because it was the first person we've encountered who didn't know we were expecting and I watched her kind of struggle a little over, I'm guessing, whether or not she should say anything and ask if we're pregnant. Then our pregnancy ended up coming up in conversation soon after and she said she was wanting to ask, but didn't want to be rude. So, I guess someone has officially noticed that I'm pregnant now! We then went inside their house with them for a little while and I discussed all things "baby" with her and she showed us their nursery, etc., plus gave Andy and I some books to borrow - it's nice to have someone down here living 2 houses down who has recently been through all of this to lean on a bit with any questions and concerns. She also shared her hospital delivery experience here with me, which is something we're going to have to start thinking about in the next few weeks or so. There are two hospitals to choose from, and we've heard differing opinions about each. It's always helpful to hear things from actual patients vs. what the doctors tell you.

So, that's about it that's new and exciting in our world of baby. I'll be sure to keep posting more info soon!

6 comments on "15 weeks and counting...."

Sue Barnes said...

Nicki, you look fabulous!!! Thanks for keeping us posted on what's happening with Baby Barnes.
I love reading all the details on what baby looks like at this point in your pregnancy.

millerhighlifemama on July 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM said...

Nicki, you look awesome, and the happiest I have EVER seen you! What an incredible blessing! Each day and each moment keeps getting better and better....so excited for you!

Nicole Barnes on July 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM said...

Thanks to you both! You're REALLY too kind. I was feeling rather unattractive in this week's picture - the hair was not having a good day, hence why it's pulled back, and hence why I changed the pic to black and white...... for some reason I think that makes it looks better! :)

Anonymous said...

Nicki! I just realized you had a blog, I think you told me but I am really spacey. Anyway so glad to read it all bc I can never get too much info about baby barnes! :o) Have fun in GA! ~Kathryn Chacra

Nicole Barnes on July 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM said...

Thanks Kat!! This will definitely suffice for your "one stop shop" on all the info you need about Baby B! :)

Anonymous said...

My FAVORITE shirt that season, by far!

Post a Comment