Saturday, November 21, 2009

34 weeks and counting....


Today we're 34 weeks pregnant! 6 weeks to go, and I can't believe how (thankfully) the time is flying. Baby should weigh almost 5 pounds now and should be measuring about 18 - 19 3/4 inches in length. With this growth, the baby's movements continue to get more and more entertaining to watch/feel through my stomach. At my prenatal appointment this week, the doctor felt my stomach and told me that the baby seemed to be head down with his/her little butt on my upper right side of my stomach and his/her legs/feet on the upper left side, but s/he is still moving around in there and the chances of him/her remaining in that position for delivery are slim. When s/he moves now, at times, I can feel a nudge/poke/bulge in the front of my stomach as well as my back at the same time because room is getting so tight in there. And, s/he continues to make his/her Momma jump with surprise here and there when letting out a really strong swing or kick in just the right spot - whether it be the ribs, hips, or sides - ultimately, it just warms my heart to experience those particular movements though. I've also been noticing (what I'm pretty sure are) Braxton Hicks contractions over the last couple of weeks where my stomach will get really tight and hard and then it just goes away. They don't hurt, but more so, just amaze me. I'm starting to get curious/anxious to see what the "real" contractions are like, but I'm pretty sure once I feel them, I'll be happy to send them back where they came from.

Delaney wanted to feel the baby move...
This week in our birthing class we were taken on a tour of the Labor & Delivery area of the hospital. We both really like the hospital so far and continue to be impressed with the clean, safe, and quiet atmosphere there. On the tour we confirmed that cell phones and laptops can be used in the delivery/recovery rooms, so that's a plus in making it possible to send updates to you all soon after this little one joins us. It's difficult to think about all of the friends and family that will not be around us during such a miraculous and exciting time in our lives, but technology definitely helps to fill that void!

We've been continuing to work on getting things crossed off our "list of things to do before baby." The nursery is coming together, but we're still waiting on a few things that should be arriving this week. And, we just purchased a large area rug for our family room that we've been wanting to get before baby arrives so that we have more soft and cozy places to play on the floor. Here are some photos of the new carpet:

Think she likes it?
I think Delaney would be happy with keeping all of the furniture on the tile so that she has a nice place to run around in and not slip all over the place!
All finished and put back together - we just need some lamps now!
That's about all I can think of for an update this week. As we enter our 34th week of pregnancy, we're looking forward to some fun things ahead. My Dad arrives for a visit on Tuesday where he'll spend a week with us and be here for Thanksgiving. This is the first Thanksgiving where I get to cook my own meal, and I'm looking forward to that, just hope my buddha belly body is up for the task, too!

4 comments on "34 weeks and counting...."

Sue said...

Getting down to crunch time now. It won't be long until we are holding that beautiful little baby. The carpet looks great in the fam.rm.! You have your house looking just beautiful! BTW-Delaney should do a commercial for the carpet store. Have an enjoyable visit with your Dad, and I am certain that your Thanksgiving dinner will be DELICIOUS!Wish we could all be there with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi nicki!! Great updates :o) I love the rug and I cant wait to come visit again...maybe one of these days after work! I had a cold this weekend so its good we didnt see each other, dont want lil Ben/Julia or Mommy to deal with germs already! Heard Andy and Abe had fun this week, too bad neither was the BIG winner :o) ~Kat

millerhighlifemama on November 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM said...

Nic, you are seriously the MOST beautiful pregnant woman!!! It looks sooooo good on ou, and I know motherhood will too! The carpet looks super cozy, and it will soooo come in super handy for crawling days, which will be here before you know it! Have so much fun with your dad this week and give him my love! I hope you have a wonderful 1st homeade Thanksgiving!! xo

Ellen on November 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM said...

It's so much fun to read your updates!! Thanks for sharing. You look fantastic! Can't wait to see your precious baby soon. :)

Post a Comment